Are you building your kitchen and are looking for advice. You would by now realize that the core of any kitchen is the cabinets, appliances and worktop. Identifying these would take a bit of skill. A search on the internet would give you a wide range of varieties, the costs offered by various companies and even retailers of the product.
* In case of entire kitchen; check the company. Ask for contacts of previous customers as they would give you a better idea about the product.
* Get a person from the company visit you rather than some one from the showroom.
* You have a vision for your kitchen; then tell it to the designer. Collaborate with the designer on the requirements and design you visualize. Get it incorporated into the plan.
* A good show room gives you good items and will not talk you into getting things that they have on display.
* Good items come at a cost. Your search on the internet could lead you to a good deal as well.
* When you get the items; verify and see if there are any damaged or missing items. In case of damage ask the retailer to replace it.
* Do not pay them the entire amount. With hold 20 percent of the fee till the entire process is complete.
* For the work; draw up a schedule and synchronize the work. Whenever there is a concern about the work; raise the concern to set things right again.
Aesthetic sense of a kitchen depends on the type of cabinets you choose. Options are colored/stained; Maple/Oak or any other wood and Stock/Custom made.
* Stock cabinets will be delivered to you within a week of placing the order.
* Semi-custom cabinets would require changing a few features like handles, hinges and other items. This would take around two weeks of time
* Fully custom cabinets would take around six to ten weeks of time. The advantage of a fully custom cabinet is that it can fit into the architectural work and design of an old kitchen.
It is wise to select a material that will withstand years of use; with the least maintenance requirement. It should also be easily repairable if an accident occurs.
* Combine two or more counter top materials in one kitchen. This could be varied colors or textures placed adjacent to each other to create a visual interest. It could also complement with the cabinets, floor, wall paper or paint selections.
* Consider the combination of decorative materials like granite, marble or tiles with solid surface for visual effect, durability and easy maintenance.
* If you have budget constraints; use the highest quality material for areas that will be used the most. For the other counter areas you could go for less expensive materials.
* High cost materials include Granite, Stainless steel, Marble (slabs), solid surface media and wood blocks. The cost is because these are smooth surfaces, do not scratch easily, are heat resistant, and in some cases do not absorb stains or oils. Among these only solid surface medium can be easily repairable.
* Solid surface media and wood blocks can also be obtained in budget rates. Other budget materials include solid surface laminates, Tiles, and plastic laminates. Plastic laminates, wood blocks are not heat resistant and plastic is not repairable.
* The quality of the counter top edge treatment is also important. Choose materials that will withstand constant exposure water and other house hold chemicals.
Present day kitchens are not what they were years ago. Making a choice of an appliance depends on its utility in the present day kitchen. In fact you should design your kitchen keeping in mind the various appliances and the space for them.
* Energy efficiency is the key to most appliances. Costs have reduced drastically. Design and durability has been possible with newer technologies.
* The type of energy (Gas or Electric kitchen accessories ) determines the rate as well.
* Size of the appliance and usage matters. Kitchen appliances have been made for hotels and houses as well. Choose electric ice cream maker , sandwich makers, and food processors according to your need. Just as you get best deals on food processors from the internet, you can also get sandwich maker recipes.
* Know your appliance; performance and maintenance are major criteria.
* Wooden kitchen utensils and porcelain utensils make appear aesthetic but may be a problem with dish washers.